- Do more than focus on the deficit
- Avoid sequester and spread cuts overtime
- Address international aspects of corporate tax reform (see related posts here and here)
- Fix housing finance and loosen GSE lending restrictions modestly
- Accelerate the transformation of the North American energy sector
- Other things (besides the deficit)
More items could be added to this list, including innovations in regulation and finance with respect to infrastructure investment. Unlike deficit reduction, where all the choices are painful, measures to spur growth can benefit all Americans as well as help the federal budget. Growth and job creation are, after all, the ultimate ends of economic policy. They, at least as much as fiscal issues, should become the focus of our national economic conversation.
Full article here